When the stakes are high, you need an advisor you can trust. An advisor with the expertise and resources to provide a credible valuation of a business enterprise or its underlying assets, the industry knowledge to understand how market trends may impact value, an understanding of the applicable legal, tax, or regulatory environment, and the experience to withstand scrutiny.
For more than 25 years, Stout has helped clients gain confidence by bringing clarity to the most complex valuation matters. As one of the largest independent valuation practices in the country, we provide specialized experience across a broad spectrum of industries. Clients come to us for purposes such as financial reporting, corporate tax planning and compliance, trust and estate tax reporting, shareholder and succession planning, and litigation matters.
Some of the largest publicly traded corporations and family-owned businesses, including 58% of the Fortune 500 and 63% of the top 100 global private equity firms have trusted Stout for their most significant transactions, complex valuation issues, and challenging tax disputes. Here's why:
- A proven track-record. For almost three decades, we have developed and supported opinions that withstand scrutiny – whether that be from the SEC, IRS, DOL, a trier of fact, an auditor review, or a counterparty. For example, our professionals have testified in almost 30 U.S. Tax Court trials, including multiple valuation-related landmark cases – more than any other firm.
- Industry experience and global reach. Our work spans six continents and more than 80 countries, including some of the largest and most complex valuation engagements around the world.
- Deep resources. With expertise in the valuation of businesses, complex securities and financial instruments, intangible assets, real estate, and personal property, we can deliver on any type of valuation – no matter how complex or challenging.
- Market-leading professionals. Our financial professionals hold market-leading designations and advanced degrees; have developed groundbreaking studies, databases, and valuation models that are used throughout the industry; and are sought-after authors, speakers, and professors. For example, our Stout Restricted Stock Study® is used by two-thirds of appraisers who use restricted stock studies to determine the discount for lack of marketability.
- Integrated team approach. For every engagement, we take a sophisticated approach that includes the latest in financial and valuation theory, real-world market information, and a rigorous quality-control process to ensure accuracy.
- Proprietary analysis based on Fortune's 2019 list of the 500 largest U.S. corporations by total revenue.
- Proprietary analysis representing companies owned by the top 100 private equity firms based on aggregate capital raised in the preceding 10 years according to 2019 data provided by Preqin.
- According to a 2018 survey by Business Valuation Resources.